OUR PROPRIETARY METRICS -- ScopeMetrics®
While we’ve worked with advertising agencies and advertisers since 1992, our rigorous R&D ensures that our SOW workload metrics are always up to date. Our Scope of Work database includes over 2,475 unique briefs across all media types, from traditional advertising to direct marketing to the latest digital and social media initiatives. Each brief in the database has a unique ScopeMetric Unit (SMU) value. The sum of the SMU values from each deliverable in a SOW equals the total "workload value" or size of the SOW in ScopeMetric Units.
These are some of the key measures that make up our ScopeMetric® system to help advertisers and agencies evaluate their staffing levels and productivity:
- Number of SMUs in a Scope of Work (this defines the workload). Each project in a SOW has an SMU value. Typically, across a wide range of SOWs, involving originations and adaptations in a wide range of media, there are approximately 2 to 5 projects in an SMU. This, of course, varies by media type and specific circumstances.
- Headcount per SMU – the recommended agency staffing levels to efficiently and effectively manage and execute the Scope of Work. Staffing involves Account Management, Strategic Planning, Creative and Production. An appropriate level averages about 0.67 FTEs per SMU in appropriately-staffed relationships.
- SMUs per FTE per year -- the workload output per year of the assigned resources. An appropriate level averages about 1.5 SMUs per FTE per year.
- SMUs per creative per year – the recommended level of creative output per creative per year for optimal productivity and high creative quality. The recommended level averages 4.1 to 5.0 SMUs per creative per year, although in practice, much higher levels of output per creative are being experienced due to inadequate fee levels for excessive SOW workloads. Creative quality is very much at risk in these high output situations.
- Fee per SMU -- the "price" that the client is paying for the agency's Scope of Work
If you'd like to learn more about our proprietary metrics and approach, please email us or give us a call at +1 (646) 666-7142.